Friday, March 16, 2012

life lately


if you haven't read Mindy Kaling's book, go get it! it's laugh out loud hilarious.
if the back image isn't enough to read this book i don't know what is.
honu sleeping

life has been pretty hectic, i bolted right after the site launched and went to hawaii for a quick vacay..i know i am a very lucky girl! but not to sound totally lame...it was too short!
or maybe i need to move there? i was way too sad to leave..
everything from watching the whales out in the ocean, hanging with the "hona" (sea turtles), dipping in the salty water, making time for a massage, eating the insanely fresh produce...seriously i have never loved lettuce this much.
i wonder if i lived on an island..would i go bonkers?
as i write this with a 10-day forecast of rain..i am not so sure i would..
it's good livin.

since i have been home, i have woken up with total anxiety in the middle of the night, with countless random lists in my head, tossing & turning about the things that need to get done, dr's appts that haven't happened, hair dealt with, clean out the fridge, eat better!exercise! and don't even get me started on the work lists...this is not normal for me, if there is one thing i have mastered...
its sleep.
i struggle with laying all my junk (personal stuff) on my blog, and i really appreciate those that do. i will just say that i think i am always going to struggle with achieving balance...
are you ever truly in balance? that would mean personal/health/work life all in balance in my opinion. i think it will be my life long struggle. thank the heavens above that i have the support of someone amazing in my life...now i just need to figure out the rest of these "lists".

ugh..is this what happens when you leave paradise?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Striving for balance is kind of silly. Just let it happen. Because it will. You'll wake up one day and wipe out your whole to-do list in two hours. You'll have a lazy summer to make up for a crazy winter. I think the feeling of chaos inside of us comes from us trying to be and do what we "should" do. As in, "I should exercise this much", "I should be doing this other thing right now". When at the time we really need rest and our bodies know it and force us into it. And we squander the rest away feeling bad the whole time. You might not have balance every day or every week, but your body will go on strike sometimes and it's cool to listen to it and not feel bad. Look at it over the course of a lifetime. Or that old song about seasons that's taken from the Bible. My sister had to lecture me about that when my daughter was a newborn. That was not the season to be on an evening soccer team, take cake decorating classes, piano lessons, and be skinny. There was a season for that and there will be again. I think. I hope at least for the skinny part. Sorry for the very long comment, but I think every woman (probably men too I guess) struggles with that so I have tons of thoughts about it because I've spent tons of time thinking about it. Hang in there and relax!

rikshaw design said...

hey anonymous..
thanks for your comment..i think you have so many good points and i agree! just let it go racing brain in the middle of the night!
love that you were taking cake decorating classes..thats sounds so fun, i need to sign up for something fun like that!

Ann Burr said...

I think you have put your finger on the eternal struggle: Balance!! While I do believe that it's a lifelong journey, I also believe that it's possible to get to a place where you're not waking up in the middle of the night with your mind racing with To Do lists... This is going to sound beyond New Agey and corny, but trust me - meditation can really help. Taking 10 minutes a day to try and empty your mind and concentrate just on breathing and being will change your whole life. OK, enough preaching! Good luck - I know you will achieve a state of balance that brings you some peace :)

XOXOXO
ABC

Susu said...

I often think balance comes from the simplest of moments in a day when one is totally unaware of anything, yet you stop and watch the Monarch Butterfly land on a flower, or watch the constant ripples of waves in a river, or watch your puppy lying on fresh cut green grass and you take a deep breath, and just enjoy the lovely picture you have seen and one that nature has given you..for free.